Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Healthy Gluten Free Bread

A step for health, A leap for Celiac's. Ok, you might think I'm a cheater, but this calls for a bread mix. I promise you it's a really good bread mix! When I was first battling in the kitchen against gluten, I thought I should be the one to come up with new, fun, witty, delicious recipes. And I do... but there are so many great people who have paved the way with more delicious, better, recipes (and let's be honest it would have taken me years to get a recipe as good as this on my own). So there it is. Don't judge me.

The Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix (see the blog on bread or follow the link)
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup Milled Flax seed (like the one in the picture, or whatever you find that's cheaper and yes, milled is important - more digestible and whatnot)
1/4 cup Honey (personal preference is Orange Blossom Honey)

Preheat oven to 170-ish, then when it's done preheating turn it off.
And your going to follow the directions on the packaging (Mostly).
When you pour the flour in the bowl add the flax seed to it and mix it up.
And what I like to do is fill one of those pyrex-like 2 cup measuring things up with the correct amount of water, then add the honey to the 2-cup mark, then add the slab of butter and microwave it all, while periodically mixing, until the butter is melted and it's warm (not till it burns your finger - then it's too hot and you'll kill the yeast). And either make sure your eggs are room temperature, or mix 'em and microwave 'em for NO MORE THEN 15 SECONDS. And then you'll have room temperature eggs.
Mix it all up like it says on the packaging. Then, after you pour it into your bread pan, put it in your pre-warmed over. I've found that this is a better, more controlled environment for the little yeasts to grow and make things fluffy. After the prescribed 30-40 minute rising time, just turn your oven back on (leave the bread in the oven), preheat it to 375, and take about 5 minutes off your baking time, but make sure your start your baking time when your oven has officially reached 375.

And Voila! Heart Healthy, amazingly delicious bread. I'm eating a piece right now. YUM!

1 comment:

Brynley said...

okay you didn't tell me you blog. I got it from Jeni. How's it going?? I might have to quit m/b because I want to go to one day a week and they don't have an opening.

Just because it's gluten free, doesn't mean it can't be delicious